Friday, July 3, 2009

Lancetilla Mangos - not the best,but delicious


I had to pick the Lancetilla Mango's - the raccoons started testing them for ripeness by clawing them !

I thought I was going to loose the two biggest ones, but luckily they were green enough to only ooze resin from the wounds and ripen perfectly.

They were huge, in the picture, from left to right: store bought mango, big mango from neighbour's tree and two huge lancetilla mango's on the right. They were so big, I had difficulty holding them in order to cut them. One mango was enough to feed four of us and have some to spare.

The flavour is sweet but every now and then you get a strange spicy bite, maybe not completely ripe in spots or skin not peeled deep enough. Its not really distracting, just something to get used to. I am sure if I could let them mature further on the tree that they probably would have tasted even better.

It is still a winner due to its compact growing size, perfect for even the smallest backyard, plus it shows no signs of any disease, I wish the same could be said for my 3 year old Valencia Pride mango, it set 8 mango's, there are only 3 left, the others have rotten due to anthracnose, a fungal disease that causes black spots to appear on the fruit and then rot sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment