Saturday, February 13, 2010

Monster passion fruit vines











I bought these "Brazilian round yellow passion fruit" seeds from Bakerstreet last year.
I built a two wire trellis with 8 feet cedar posts. I underestimated these vines. The trellis is almost collapsing under the weight of the vines. They are growing so vigorously, they are now starting to cover my neighbour's crepe myrtle trees. I am not feeling guilty because their bougainvillea is taking over the corner of my yard and now it looks like they also have another vine (I suspect the highly invasive mandevilla vine) growing all over my palm trees.

One of the vines flowered briefly in November, with pure white flowers but none set fruit. There are a total of three vines planted, so hopefully there will be enough variability to ensure cross-pollination.

I tried to look up round yellow passion fruit with white flowers and so far no luck. The closest I could come up with is the lillikoi, but they have flowers similar to the purple passionflower, Passiflora edulis which have purple tinged flowers.

I guess I'm going to have to start pruning them already and hope they flower and set fruit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment