Monday, February 23, 2009

Introducing black sapote












I've often wondered what a black sapote (Diospyros digyna) really looked like. Sure, Ive seen illustrations. Never mind what it looked felt and tasted like.

After my spoonful at Excalibur on Valentines day, I bought a fruit to take home. When green, it resembles a green tomato. It's surprisingly light weight for its size. This fruit is not in the sapote family, its actually a family member of the persimmon.



We let it sit for a week to ripen and I cut it open. The sight is not for the faint of hearted.

It looks plain disgusting.


I decided not to be put of by the looks and scooped a spoonful. The taste is soft velvety. It does remind you of chocolate pudding or chocolate mousse. My wife was appalled by the looks of it and decided not to try. My daughter looked at it with disgust, but after seeing me eat spoonful after spoonful decided to try. She says it tastes like stewed prunes. The fruit had about 8 large seeds. I felt compelled to keep them but then after reading how large this tree can get decided not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment