Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My first Surinam Cherry - can't wait for it to ripen

Here's my little 2 year old, 2 foot tall Surinam Cherry (Eugenia Uniflora) grown from seed.

I can't wait for it to ripen. See, I bought red and black seeds. After tasting some red ones (grown as a hedge) on my morning walk, I'm hoping its the black one, apparently they taste much better. The red one I tasted, tasted like a mixture of sugar, tomato, turpentine and resin. Unfortunately, only one of the black seeds germinated, but all three red seeds germinated. I have planted all four plants and don't know which one is the black one anymore - moral of the story, label your plants and pots well. Fortunately its a beautiful little shrub (or tree if left to grow), so I intend on keeping the red ones even if they taste horrible. (I might remove them later when some of my other seedlings are large enough to plant, i.e. feijoa's).

No comments:

Post a Comment