Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ahh grumichama


The grumichamas are finally starting to ripen, each day I can pick a small handfull, not enough to feast on, but still a tasty treat. The grumichamas taste sweet, somewhat similar to a bing cherry, with a hint of aromatic spicy after taste (not distracting or distastefull) - confirming its a clove relative.

In my hand I have two grumichama's (the dark purple fruit) and several ripe Suriname cherries. I never thought I'd say this, but these specific Suriname cherries actually trumps the grumichama's in taste. Of my four Suriname cherry bushes, only this one produces wonderfully sweet excellent fruit - so much so that I can't wait for them to ripen.

2 comments:

  1. What interesting fruits. You said BUSH as opposed to TREE so maybe they could grow in my cramped backyard. I'll have to do a little research. I have a thing for exotic fruit. Do you grow honey berry? (Lonicera caerulea edulis) My two year old bushes are blooming heavily right now. It looks like a bumper crop is in the making. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these are sub-tropical, I doubt if they'd grow in Oregon, maybe in containers that can be brought inside in winter ?

    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/surinam_cherry.html

    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/grumichama.html

    ReplyDelete