Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ataulfo Mangos

A couple of weeks ago, I went to our local green market to buy some fruit and vegetables. I noticed these yellow mangoes and wondered what they tasted like, so I bought four. Let me tell you, they were some of the best tasting mangoes I've ever tried. I kept a couple of the seeds outside and planted them in containers.

A week ago, I also bought some Ataulfo mangoes from Costco. I find it hard to throw away any seeds, so last night, I took a steak knife and carefully carved away the sharp edge on the one side of the seed. I then split the seed open to reveal the embryo inside. I've read somewhere that these mangoes are supposed to polyembryonic, but these ones only seem to have one seed inside. I am going to plant these and see if they sprout. I know it may take 7 years before they'll fruit, but so what, I have most of the trees/fruits that I want planted, so I'll just grow these in containers until they're ready to be planted in the ground. I may even decide to take out some other shrubs / trees that don't fruit or taste well.


  1. It's always fun to experiment. When I think of Mangos I remember the HUGE trees growing wild on the Big Island of Hawaii. And oh so delicious.
    Good luck.

  2. I feel compelled to plant any seed I find, too bad I don't have even more space to grow all the avocados I like.

    The Valencia Pride mango tree can grow into a humongous tree if not pruned. I saw one at Excalibur Rare Fruit Tree nursery that must have been 60 feet tall and probably even wider.

  3. FYI... Mango cultivation is a bit more complicated than planting a seed (grafting is necessary). Please see this site for more info...

  4. Mangotreeman,

    Most of our excellent cultivars we have today, were chance seedlings. When you plant a poly-embrionic seed (the ataulfo mentioned here, is poly-embrionic), you are almost guaranteed to have an exact clone of the parent plant. Even when planting mono-embrionic seeds, chances are still good that you will still get a very good quality fruit, since the parents of that seedling are most probably all excellent fruits - that is especially true here in South Florida, where so many excellent mango varieties have been bred (from seeds).

  5. so how are these mango trees now?

  6. The Mango tree grew very well and was about 8 feet tall. A papaya seedling sprouted next to it and I let it grow.

    In the last tropical storm, almost all the papaya trees were blown over, this one snapped the taproot of the mango tree and almost 4 years of experiment is ruined. I've since planted a yellow jaboticaba in its place.