Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Golden hubbard squash - yum yum


Last night I sliced and peeled the golden hubbard squash. Its not as tough to cut and peel as a butternut squash. The flesh has a wonderfull smell to it and a rich golden colour with tinges of green on the inside.

My wife drizzled a little olive oil and brown sugar over the slices and grilled them in the oven.

Let me tell you, we were in culinary heaven, it is easily the best squash I have had since I started liking squash ! We literally savoured each bite. The flavour is unsurpassed. I planted one hill with 6 seeds, only 3 vines survived. Somehow they only managed to produce 2 squash even though the vines are huge and growing all over the place. I might consider planting them again in October. These vines also seemed a little more resistant to the powdery mildew that killed almost all of the other squash I planted. This year, I had only 1 acorn squash out of 3 hills ! Needless to say, I'll not waste my time with it in the fall.

The remaining hubbard squash is almost twice the size of the first one. We'll probably be able to "squash" two meals out of it. We might also make a creamy soup out of it, like we often do with butternut.

5 comments:

  1. Grilled golden hubbard squash. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying winter squash this year (but I'm planting them now). I think I can also plant them in October since we have a similar climate (Bermuda). We don't have the temperature range you have since it only rarely gets over 90°F in Summer and we never have frost. I'm gonna try Seminole Pumpkin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post some pictures of what some of my squash plants look like now. Its only April, so you can imagine what they would look like from May to Sept! The problem here in Florida is the heat coupled with the humidity and the intensity of the sunlight - its brutal. I doubt that winter squash would do well for you if you planted it now, but I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I have a similar interest in edible landscape, though mine so far has dealt mainly with brassicas. I didn't have much luck with my first squash, the Baby Blue Hubbard. Squash vine borer maggots made 3 attacks on the vines as I started to get fruit, and they finally did enough damage I dug up the plants.
    Your comments on planting again in October had me intrigued... I had thought that squash was a summer plant only... I am in the Metro Atlanta area, and your post made me wonder if I should try a planting. I have house on a slope that gives me several areas protected from wind, as well as one of those mobile translucent greenhouses about 5'x 10' & open to ground. I still need to check sunlight hours now that the sun is in a lower arc, but what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I forgot to be more specific. I am dead on the line of zones 7a & 8b

    ReplyDelete