Monday, April 13, 2009

Trench composting


Since we have a problem with raccoons and we're not allowed to have compost heaps in our community, I've often wondered what to do with all our kitchen waste. I read up about trench composting and started doing it. I had an empty 5lb protein container, made some space under the kitchen sink. My wife refuses to open the lid, so she leaves all the organic waste (expect animal, meat and fat) and I place it in the jar every day. When the jar fills up, I find an open space in the backyard, dig a trench about 2 feet deep by 2 feet wide, pour the containers content into it, chop it up with the spade and fill the soil back in. I frequently plant new shrubs or plants on top of it and it seems to be working quite well. I've only had the raccoons dig it up once, then I put my chicken wire over the area until the scent disappeared and they lost interest. In this case I planted a horse radish tree and removed the chicken wire today as it was starting to grow thru the wire. I hope they don't dig it up overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment